Date Published Tue, 22 Aug 2017 10:59:39 +0000
Contract Type Full Time
Location National Territory
Required Experience 7-10years
Expiry Date August 29
For more than 50 years, the African Wildlife Foundation (AWF) has been a key player in African conservation and sustainable development. AWF is seeking a high performing and result oriented Technical Advisor (TA) who will provide technical support to the conservator, Faro National Park, build capacity of the Service de Conservation, develop management and operational plans, facilitate coordination with the surrounding landscape and improve the overall management and conservation of the Park.
- Oversee all aspects of AWF’s work in Faro National Park. The TA is expected to work in partnership with the Conservator to improve overall protected area management and conservation.
- Develop a general management and operational plan; support law enforcement and anti-poaching; build the capacity of the rangers; ensure effective relationships with the landowners and communities adjacent to FNP; establish an effective partnership with Zone d’Interet Cynegetique (ZIC) 13 and other hunting concessions surrounding the Park; and ensure effective communication and reporting. Develop an anti-poaching plan, including a training schedule, standard of procedures, informant network, and early threat warning strategies and ensure that the systems put in place are consistent with MINFOF and AWF standards. Work with the conservator to develop and oversee the implementation of an infrastructure plan as part of the general management plan. This includes the development of roads, radio rooms, ranger outposts, staff office, tourism facilities, signage and other facilities. Oversee a rigorous training schedule designed to adequately build the capacity of the Service de Conservation staff and leadership.
- At least 10 years’ experience in wildlife management and anti-poaching implementation in Central Africa.
- Substantial experience in training, anti-poaching training and implementation in different environments (forest, savanna, etc.).
- Experience of collaborating with governmental conservation institutions, military structures and private sector, such as hunting concessionaires and tourism operators, and conservation/PA-management NGOs.
- French and English speaking.
- Experience working effectively with local communities.
- Excellent oral communication skills, good French writing skills.
- Experience with SMART, Cyber Tracker, anti-poaching technology, weaponry.
- Ability to work under strenuous physical conditions.
- Ability to work effectively in remote and challenging areas, in cross-cultural situations and multicultural environment.